Originally posted here.

  • December 18th, 2012
  • 7:30 PM
  • St. Jacobi Church
  • Facilitation: George and Sam
  • Minutes: Tess and Shawn

George: I’m George.

Sam: I’m Sam.

George: We’re gonna facilitate, if that’s ok with everyone. Last meeting, we were here, it was kinda hectic, people, you know, were kinda rude, things were said. So I just want to remind everybody in this space that we’re all working together, we’re all part of this network because we care. We have to bring that compassion into the spaces we share. One thing I like to say is W.A.I.T., Why Am I Talking? Make sure you aren’t just talking to hear yourself talk. I know I like to hear myself talk, which is why I do things like this. So it’s really good for me, and I think it’s good to bring into community spaces. Today we’re going to sort of hang loose, do some networking. Last week, the decision-making conversation didn’t go so well so we’re not going to do that. Intros from sites…Go around the room and introduce yourself

Sam: Sites, or groups, or whatever. If you wanna be like, “Hey I’m Sam, I’m working on training in the Rockaways, is anyone else doing that? And then

John: I’ve been working mostly in Coney. Claps for Coney.

Dan: I’m also working in Coney and working with Organizational Relationships.

Lopi: I’m here from the Rockaways, doing social media.

Shlomo: I’m doing coordination across sites in the Rockaways.

Dalit: I’m doing legal in the Rockaways.

Leah:

Susan: I’m behind my computer doing stuff for the incubation team.

Ravi: I’ve been on a break for awhile, plugging back in.

Evan: Same here.

Lev: 520, Coney.

Tammy: Working on a bunch of stuff, coordination in the Rockaways.

Amy: Running around coordinating the Rockaways.

Bethany: I’m an observer.

Freddy: Code name smiley, I’m good at fixing stuff.

George: Nick is livestreaming, is that ok with everyone?

Damien: 520 Orientation, and long term project at Clinton

Josh:

Kei: Rockaways, Org relationships, tech ops

Brett: Coordinating Rockaways

Easton: Coney Island, Legal

Robert: All over the place, tech

Ryo: I’ve been canvassing in Staten Island and Rockaways, I do videography, and I’m interested in getting youth involved

Daphne: I’ve been working in Staten Island doing off-site comms stuff.

Tess: I’m not really sure what I do..
Shawn: Red Hook
Ari: Distribution ins Red Hook
Jovan: Red Hook
Mary:
Nick: my name is Nick, I had to take a little break, but I’m working on housing and social media.
Rachel: I’ve been working on trainings.
George: I’m George I was in Staten Island but have transitioned to Coney.
Sam:
Jeff: I’ve been out at the Rockaways.
Sam: So they only thing that we have here is reportbacks. But I’m hearing that we want this to be a conversation about resources, and how can be they be equitably shared and people have access to them. Does it help to meet with people from your group, and talk about what you’ve been working on, and what resources we would like to have more access to.
Daniele: problems that we frequently run into, so we can have an idea of what we problems we have.
Sam: If you’re in Coney Island and you need more time talking with the incubation team, there’s a breakout. Or you’re in Red Hook you can ask questions about medical in a breakout…
And that can be a place for discussion and question and answer…
<Response is mixed>
George: Right now, in this room, find the people in this room who you work with, and if you’re hearing things that are some commonalities, we can get a feel for how we can fill those needs and maybe find solutions.
Sam: I just wanted to give people a chance to figure out what their reportbacks should be. Let’s meet for 10 minutes, and then report back. And also a lot has happened this week, so if you want to get a sense of what you want your reportback to look like, what happened this week, what does the group need to know, what problems have you been coming up against, what resources you need access to, what you’ve been using
George: So group in with the people that you wanna do a reportback with, and come back in 10 minutes.
George: Ok, let’s bring it back.
Sam: Ok, coming back together.
George: Can all the people who are reporting back for their group raise their hand.
Dan: Reporting back on Organizational Relationships. What happened this week was… raise your hand if you’re in that group. There are probably other people in the room who are part of… Anyone involved with getting resources or managing relationships with orgs that aren’t Occupy Sandy. We’ve been trying to get reportbacks into the Tuesday meetings about where resources are coming from, and organizational relationships has just become the name. It means interfacing with organizations you’re getting resources from and how they get distributed throughout the network. We’re getting more organized. The kitchen at Jacobi needed to figure out how to communicate… We need to figure out how to connect the FEMA network to Occupy Sandy network. My reportback actually requires more people than just me, and over the next few weeks
Kristian: One thing happened this evening. There’s something called the MDMN. Any org in the country can post resources they want to donate, and they match resources to people who want donations. So I just connected with them. And you can also ask for things, so I just put on 20 dehumidifiers. There are also services – if you want something, goods or services, Daniele and I are creating protocol for a way to ask for things. It’s a national network to ask for stuff.
Lopi: Reporting back for the Rockaways. A shit-ton happened this week. I can’t keep it to two minutes. Friday there was a community meeting with some senators and a lot of community members and said what they thought the 60 billion should be spent on. Then Saturday we had a really beautiful action, community members went and tore up a floor, and found an empty apartment on a second floor, to do a clear out of that apartment to get that family into that apartment. YANA is rebuilding the community center. We’re making progress, we laid down sand, we’re laying concrete tomorrow. Resources that we have access to is that we have a lot of work, people come out and join us – that’s a great resource. We need a warehouse – a 3000 to 6000 sq ft warehouse to store the other thing we need, which is tools. We need skilled construction workers, and trained mental health people to come out and work that can commit to a significant period of time. Everybody’s getting sick and coughing a lot. That’s a persistent problem.
Daniele: We can give a 3 minute reportback now, but we have about 20 minutes worth of stuff that we think the community wants to hear, so we can do that now, or later?
George: So last meeting, the resources group had a 20 minute presentation that they wanted to give. Do people want to hear that after reportbacks? <Agreement> Okay, so we’ll do that after reportbacks.
Lopi: Something we could really use in the Rockaways is advanced notice about the meetings and printed matter about the meeting. And transportation
Legal: Two quick things, first of all for internal legal needs, and external. If there’s an internal need, maybe a tech thnk cthat can  cross over into legal, you can call our hotline, we should be able to find a lawyer with expertise in that area, so we encourage you to use that resource. Also for people in these areas who have specific legal aid needs. Our email is occupysandylegal@gmail.com and our phone is 646-297-5671.
Dalit: Can I just add one thing – groups who are canvassing, coordinate with us so we know what to do with the legal needs you get responses on.
Lev: For Coney Island, we had a 3.5 hour meeting talking about our vision for future in Coney Island, what we’re gonna be doing over the next 3 weeks and after. Other areas, if you can tear yourselves away from what you’re doing, and let everyone else help you over the next 3-5 weeks. Our major need is a few more coordinators, we only have about 6 people and we’re starting to burn out, so we could use help. Things are generally looking pretty good, we’re doing a big push to get our mold remediation done, and we’re still looking for more volunteers for people who need their houses torn out and cleaned up. 520 is ramping down very quickly, most of our supplies were delivered to the field, we are no longer using 520 for storage, and so this means that the operation is changing as far as the role of the hub, not sure what it’s going to mean, but when you’re putting in orders, the likelihood that we’re gonna have it is going down. But if you know you need something like blankets, we can coordinate blanket drives or something, also coordinate volunteers. We’re not getting volunteers in big numbers any more. Over the next several weeks connections may break down, so we should try to maintain unity, we’ve also been talking about sending some comms people to help out, too.
Damien: So as we go forward, we still want 520 to be an interface for Occupy Sandy, so if legal or medical want an office to based out of there… We made a proposal to the fathers called the Peoples? We talked about doing a childcare service. Also another part of that is as OS continues, continuing orientations, we still want to remain an interface for OS, it’s a place for people to come and get plugged in. I thought it would be a good place for people, legal, journalists, to come plug in and get directed. Some other things for other people to think about if you wanna get involved, maybe a OWS broad info hub, maybe an outreach hub for people who’ve been displaced. The training group has been talking about trainings for young activists to work in the space, another plan is local direct action and mutual aid, and support for local issues, to facilitate the voices of people in the Bed Stuy area.The fathers there want to make a really nice comm hub in the pews, a people’s kitchen, which would be really about nutritional education, and a people’s garden. Also bringing in the People’s Library if people would be interested in installing that.

Justin Wedes is also working a concert, and a 3 day conference which would include all of us, so talk to Justin if you wanna get plugged into that.
And this Wednesday at 5pm 520 Clinton we are having our next meeting about this, and we want to figure out what kind of body will be operating this.
Sam: So is 520 still a good place to send volunteers?
Damien: Yes, it is still a good place to send people.
Mariya: I’ve been trying to get together everyone working on education, anyone working on the free school, and get people together and start having regular meetings about that. So i got a lot of people’s contacts and will send that out to people.
Rob: This is a report back for Organizational Relationships. There’s a meeting tomorrow at NY Cares, it’s going to involve a lot of orgs, and reps from the Mayors office. It originally started with VOAD. It’s about how to share data, and what kind of data will be shared, and other efforts. The urgency behind this is that it’s going to start getting cold, and we’ve got to get people into temporary housing, and the Mayor’s Office has been basically ignoring this problem. There were things being put in place in NJ that aren’t being put in place in NY, so we’re trying to make that happen here. We have not been coordinating organizational relationships enough, so we’re trying to get people together as a group everyone who’s been working in the network.
This needs to happen with canvassing as well – we really need to coordinate our canvassing efforts a lot better, but let’s make sure that actually begins to happen.
Suzanna: A couple of us have been trying to coordinate large groups, and it’s been hard because most groups want to know a couple days ahead of time. There are groups of 20 to 60 people, and it’s a question of if we have the capacity for them, and doing it in a way that’s more process oriented.
Daniele: Susanna made a really good point before, making sure that they have a place to go that’s meaningful, but also have someone on site to coordinate that group and to help make sure they have a good experience.
Elana: I’m one of the coordinators in Sheepshead Bay. We started developing relationships with some political people
We had a staffer from Marty Goldman’s office, he’s been getting a lot of resources for us. People from NY Cares have been coming out, resources are started to be directed to Sheepshead, it’s two months out, but it’s good that they’re coming… What we really need is more volunteers and more organizers, there are very few people who can bottomline and be there consistently, that would be great. If you are looking to try something new, we can’t even tell you how much we need your help. Low volunteers capacity, and low capability to report data in a consistent way, and we don’t know what to do with this. So if you’re data minded and can be a consistent presence, maybe someone from 520 Clinton? We really just want to be getting some more attention.
Kate: I’m from the Kitchen, I’m speaking on behalf of Leonie and Darius, we’re working with them for the Christmas festivities, Leonie is trying to get concrete details, but for right now, there’s going to be a big thing Christmas Eve – 100-250 B33 in the Rockaways. She’s getting donations from independent toy drives. Expecting 400-500 people coming, not volunteers. The title of it is Presents for Progress, Holiday Days of Volunteer Action. I don’t have Leonie or Darius’s contact info on the top of my head, but I can get that to you if you need.
Kitchen is working with them, we’re hoping to get people to give us hot meals as donations, asking a lot of people to cook.
Funny thing about the kitchen, we kind of ran out of food, so we’re hoping to get more food – tomorrow. leonieoccupysandy@gmail.com – Leonie knows more than I do, and also Darius, so get in touch with them. Kitchen is a little up in the air, but we have a Facebook and Twitter. Need another floor manager, we need more people.
Today’s my last day with Occupy for the most part, I’ll be on call by text, but I’m not going to be in the kitchen anymore. So if someone wants to help with logistics, we need another person.
Rio: I just wanted to add to Leonie’s efforts, for the Christmas Eve activities, perhaps we could get a concrete youth involvement, I suggest the idea of having children write letters to Bloomberg,
Lopi: Can we just acknowledge that Kate just said she was leaving?
<Clapping>
Alex: There is a workspace in Manhattan, in Chelsea, it’s available 9am-5pm, if you give me at least a week’s notice, just let me know if you want to use it. But it’s not available til after New Years, so I can’t help with that until then.
alex.occupy@gmail.com
Daphne: I work with Staten Island. On Saturday there was a speak out and tour of homes, about 50 people came, and I think a busload of people went out to Bloomberg’s house.
Today Make The Road NY made a white paper, and it’s available online at occupysandystatenisland.tumblr.com about immigrant’s rights and access to networks of aid post-Sandy. In the last week, part of our group has had a visioning meeting. One half of the group didn’t want to have a visioning meeting. So there’s a schism going on, one group will be working on 1128, and another group calling itself “SI Unity”, working with other communites, including Boots On The Ground, Yellow Team….
The 1128 hub got their power in the last week. The consequence of that is that the church is moving them out of the space and into the basement of another space, which is a less desirable space, and they also are shutting down the kitchen. So 1128 folks are trying to figure that out
There was also an independent action with occupy carolers at a shelter to be closed down on the 15th of January, and most of the people don’t want to move into apartments, they want to stay in the shelters.
Project in the works are placing trailers onto private property,
Adam from Patient Records is working on that. I’m trying to get a van and box truck.
A couple of us are thinking of doing a volunteer hostel, as you may know if you’ve ever taken the ferry out there, it can take an entire day to get out there, so we’re working on a hostel solution. And many of us are burnt out just from the commute.
People are laying the network by calling independent hubs and calling for independent groups to come out and do the work.
We are also facing fewer and fewer volunteers, as many of you might also be facing.
More people are looking to volunteer but need housing. So that’s why we’re trying to set up the hostel.
We also have a lot of grassroots hubs, trying to network that has been an ongoing challenge, because Staten Island is really hard to get around.
Rachel: I’ve also been doing Education stuff, I’m giving you updates on resources:
I’ve heard a call for a super easy to read document about Climate Change and on disaster capitalism as it relates to Sandy, and building on the very long history of people who have been doing this work before us.
Some of the vision to do that is to do that out of 520. I have ideas about people at Zone A sites who have experience doing training workshops.
And if you have ideas about written resources that would be of value to us, please get in touch with us.
rachelthelime@gmail.com
Sam: To piggyback on the training, there’s a group developing an in-depth training program, with films, creative spaces, recreate a lot of bonds that have frayed in the hecticness of the last few weeks.
We’re thinking about that starting in the Rockaways, and doing group dynamics work, and we’ll be talking about that.
Shawn: I’m Shawn from Red Hook. We have been facing a lot of the same problems you all are facing. Lack of capacity, there’s no mistake about what needs to be done but dont have the capacity for it. We have a distro site that gets supplies to people three days out of the week during the day. We have a storage space, we have tools, and remediation supplies and have been looking to get a long term permanent space for distribution and volunteer coordination. I have been working on databasing. I built a relational database out of Filemaker that live updates project files as well as informing the work we’ve been doing with the community. As well as work we’ve doing with folks in public housing. NY Cares has been sending us a lot of volunteers. We give referrals to the Mayors office when rapid repairs doesn’t follow through. We help advocate when people don’t get what they request and need. On the general part, we’ve been feeling like there’s a lot of misunderstanding about Red Hook, and we acknowledge we haven’t been making these meetings, but going forward we want to make a good faith effort to be a part of this network so that we can meet the needs of the community we’re working with.
Freddy: Not only with the holidays, volunteers are slowing down. We have to put it out there that we’re doing work safely. It’s an issue for a lot of volunteers, you see it in the news, why would be put people at risk? It’s out there that we’re working, we’re doing our thing, maybe if we had videos of us doing it safely, anything we can put out to reassure that we’re doing things safely. Practices in the Rockaways are very different from practices in Staten Island.
Tammy: I’m just gonna read a reportback that Justin Wedes wrote to the email list:
< fill in from email >
Infrastructure@occupylabs.org
Also, there’s a wide coalition that some people from Occupy Sandy helped write, demanding transparency about funding and where it’s going to. It’s going to be released in January, and will go out on our website. Folks taking a political angle to put pressure on government.
Also, is there anyone from a “Transportation Committee”?

Rebecca: As you’re experiencing in Sheepshead, if you have council members joining your meetings – it’s happened in Red Hook since the first week, and some of the split in Red Hook has come from that. Some of us were hired by a foundation grant through Christine Quinn’s office. It seems like there’s a need to have a conversation about that. Obviously every site is different, and sorting it out differently, but I want to make a request to the group about how to handle these dynamics, because it was unfortunate that the split happened in Red Hook. Some kind of help from the community would be helpful in guiding us through this process
George: We still have a couple breakout groups that are gonna meet, but first we’re gonna hear the presentation from the Resources Group.
Sam: We’re going to do the 20 min presentation on resources, and I’ve also written down breakout groups that I heard were needed
Daniele: so this is actually a presentation from the Incubation Team, and we’re just part of the resources. The VOAD, the donation registry – all resources.
So we took the WePay money, and the checks that came in, we’re at roughly at $700,000 –
We split the money into three different compartments:
Emergency Funds that have been funding needs that come up that are immediate we got kerosene heaters, it’s been funding gas for regular volunteers. The next chunk is project funding money,which we’re gonna talk about in a minute, and the biggest chunk is money we want to give to communities for participatory budgeting, just so that they can do what they want with it and we can help facilitate that.
So Emergency Funds, there are point people at each of the sites, if you think you need one but don’t have one, come talk to us
Ronnie is the point person for point people.
I wanna talk more about the Projects: We’re seeding the projects in a number of different ways, one of the ways is indeed financial. If you go to interoccupy.net/occupysandy/funds, you will see a lot of info about the way money has been spent – it takes a little while to process receipts, etc. If you want to apply for funding for a project, there is a form there, and within 24 hours you will see that your project has been shared, and within a week you will hear back from us.
The usual answer is, we think your project is great, however: we have this list of resources, and all of these ways that we can get you stuff. For example; We got a project last night for undocumented folks who couldn’t access resources. One of the things they asked for was furniture, and we said, we think we can get this in-kind.
We have a team that’s working to source in-kind donations, and lo and behold, a whole bunch of furniture showed up at 520 Clinton.
It’s about making the money last as long as it can and get as many things in-kind as possible.
We have some guideline, but i’d rather talk about them in a breakout group, but some of them are no alcohol or cigarettes, we’re not giving out more than $10,000 at a time. For transparency’s sake, we’ve given more than that to Respond & Rebuild, but they’ve given us receipts and stuff.
You have to be in the Occupy Sandy network, so it has to be an organization or project that we have actually been working with, or merely self-identify as Occupy Sandy. If you haven’t worked with us before, we might send you to other resources.
Leah: So all of those guidelines are up online, other stuff we’re trying to get up online is a specific breakdown of the projects that have applied, and how much has been granted.
We really want feedback on this process, and suggestions for guidelines, on-boarding people on the team.
Daniele: There have been some questions of “should we fund this or not?” and i want to kick those back to the breakout groups so there are more heads in that conversation. So if you’re interested in trying to search for in-kind resources, let us know.

Leah: We’re trying to shift away from being the only source of project support. We’re getting a lot of project proposals, and we’re seeing the need to get linked up with existing resources. In the next few days, this page will go live at interoccupy.net/occupysandy
It’s a project directory, where people can apply to have their projects listed.
Devin: We’re transitioning from a form where you’re requesting funds to a public form which will give us info for your project page, and then we’ll list your page at occupysandy.org/projects
And in that form it’ll ask you what services you would like to be contacted about. Many groups in here don’t just manage hubs, but do support services, like Legal. Legal is a good example of a service we don’t have on the form yet, but we should get you on there. Some examples would be, Do you want someone from the grant team to look at your project and try to find you a grant? Do you want an invitation to a resource gathering? People want to organize project showcases where people can come explain their OS related projects, maybe we can get non profits there, so they can explain that project, get people interested, and make those social connections.
We also have a grass roots kind of Amazon registry, where you go to a local business, you ask them if you can put their products on a registry, and we can put them on the registry and people will buy them, and we pick up the product from the local business and get it to the projects.  It localizes the economic activity, and people really like it. We need people to help with this. So if people are going to be filling out forms for projects, if people can access you as a project, let us know that.
Leah: It’s not necessarily that you’re opting into a system that we’re building here, it’s about connecting them to the right resources in their community. What we want is for people to identify the kind of resources they’re bringing to the table, and how to connect what kinds of projects they need to be connected to. And the resource gathering would be the in-person version of the projects page.
So projects that submit a form online could be directed to identify things like “we want to be taking all of the tech requests”
In person, people can come to resource gatherings, and people who have or want resources or projects can connect to one another. This is a huge project, and if people want to help create the resource gatherings, work on the project teams, we really are trying to build these teams.
Devin: And it’s basically fitting people into a bigger workflow, and then working it through the channels .
So if you feel like you’re a service provider now, and want to offer a service, you should email us
occupysandyprojects@gmail.com
and all of this is available at occupysandy.org/projects
Leah: There’s a forking happening. This is not all the incubation team – these are teams that we’re trying to build so more people are engaging with this work.
Daniele: And one important part that we might have skipped, is that instead of us deciding who gets money, we’re trying to take out the middle man. Each project will have a donate button.

Leah: The last thing that money has been earmarked for is this Participatory Budgeting.
The decisions around the money collected should be made by the community. This hasn’t been fleshed out fully. We really need to build a team around this. For people who think this sounds like an interesting project, who have been connected to the hubs and who have a sense of what that participatory budgeting process might look like. We want to create a model, so that other groups who have raised money might follow suit.

Devin: So Leah, if you want to break out in to Participatory Budgeting, and Daniele and I will break out in to Project Funding?
Daniele: My breakout will be about Projects.
Susan: There are different ways that people give. People go online and give money to the WePay. Also people send emails, and say we’re throwing a holiday party. And it’s gonna be in Hollywood. They set up iPads, and we were the only people they were having donations to. They asked for materials, but we’re a grassroots org, and don’t have any. I sent twelve pictures, I sent videos. You put out the needs, and their met. You could sit in your house and make the connection between people who want to raise money for Occupy and getting it to OS. How much do we get? Sometimes nothing, sometimes 20,000 dollars. You never know. You have to be nice. It’s hard to be nice on a consistent basis, but please let’s be nice, come out and help do benefits.

Daniele: We have one more team that we started that we’d like to introduce:
Shlomo: We can’t keep renting cars, so we applied for a proposal to buy a number of vehicles at auction – we’re aiming for 15 seater vans whose seats can be removed. Working on details of insurance. Details are still being worked out, and we haven’t bought anything yet, so don’t start calling me just yet. There are already people working on car dispatch, and that team will be fleshed out

Q: At this point is there a way to communicate between you guys and people who may need a ride for example to bring people to this meeting?
A: Talk to Krisitan from 520:
Kristian: If you want a van, call driver dispatch at  Occupy Sandy hotline – 347 770 4520. There are three vans, one box truck. And those get dispatched by site coordinators.

Shlomo: Do not call the day of. There’s no chance in hell.

Kristian: We’re trying to do pre-planning, pick ups at the FEMA warehouse.
Lev: One van goes to Staten Island at 9am. The other van goes to Coney between 10 and 11. The third van usually gets used by Respond & Rebuild. We’re trying to work out a better shuttle system.
Rebecca: I don’t understand the process right now. Are we going into process?
Sam: So we’re going to go into reportbacks after the presentation from Incubation. So maybe we can all just stretch for a minute? And then break out into breakout groups?
Daniele:
Tammy brought up the fact that the next Tuesdays are Xmas and New Years, so let’s figure out our next meeting

We’re getting a bike share – we have 50 bikes and trailers.
Rebecca: Is the breakout going to be in four individual pieces about the resources? Because if it is my question is basically — you guys are obviously doing great work, but I’m unclear on how decisions about that work are being made. How do we get involved with the making of those decisions?
Susan asks something about people getting paid money.
Sam: There are obviously questions about how decisions get made.
Daniele: If the group wants one breakout we can do one breakout, but we wanted to breakout into different teams because we’re working on different things.
Sam: If the question is how to join that group is there an easy answer to that?
Leah: We’re forking into different teams. There will be a breakout group for the projects, we don’t necessarily know what to do, but we want the wisdom of the group to help develop a process for onboarding new people.
Sam: Breakout groups are not set, we are going to cogenerate them.
Let’s all stand up.
<We do a thing>
Sam: Last thing we’re gonna do as a big group. When do we want to set up the next big public meeting? We could have it Christmas day but that will probably be a conflict for a lot of people.
Tammy: How about Thursday for the next two weeks?
Sam: Do people feel ok about Thursday for the next two weeks? Ok. Who wants a break? Who wants to break out into groups right now? Let’s do a quick break, and come back in 10 minutes at 9:27 for breakout groups.
Sam: It’s 9:40, i just want to make sure that the conversations people wanted to have are happening. The breakout groups I identified:

  • training and education
  • resources, how they’re coming in
  • housing and institutional relationships
  • core values, how we make core value decisions as a group

James; I came here because I want people to get involved with my project. Climate Change and Global Warming and tying it to Sandy…. A resolution with the New York City Council
Sam: If anybody else has a breakout group that they urgently want, raise their hand
Anne: I want to talk about wellness, trauma counseling.
George: In these breakouts, think about the fact that all these issues are happening in all of these sites. And i’d like to think about how we connect these sites, connect these communities who are all in this same struggle. If you’re having a conversation right now, tell people what that conversation is about, let people know so they can join that conversation.
George: Ok, lets bring it back to the circle really quickly.
Sam: It’s George’s birthday tomorrow!
<we all sing happy birthday and sound really bad doing it.>
George: Ok, quick 30 second report back on what you talked about and any next steps, also contact info.
Dan: Org Relationships is gonna get some info from the larger OS list serve and find where all these people are, and get people together before next Thursday’s meeting. Starting a list serve: osorgrel@lists.occupy.net
Devin: A number of people discussed how to support projects with others in the networks, about helping with volunteer management, helping with participatory budgeting stuff, and resource-gathering events and showcase that to the broader community.
All of these things will be advancing, and information exists
at occupysandy.com/projects
Tammy: Frank and I had a preliminary convo about worker coops in some of these regions. For instance, if there are unemployed people who have construction experience, getting them together so they can get money, so that the money for reconstruction goes to the workers and not the companies.
You should talk to Frank if you’re interested, not me.
Alex: Amy & I had a great conversation about volunteer outreach and coordination.
Volunteer recruitment, retention and scheduling for everyone’s benefit. Email Amy: amymiller3@gmail.com
Mariya: Trying to get a meeting together of anyone who is interested in doing some Education related stuff in Occupy Sandy so email me.
mariya12321@yahoo.com
George: No more reportbacks?
Nick: There was a gentleman here who was interested in pressuring city council about climate change.
George: Really quickly before we leave this space, we’d like to do a check-out, to talk about this space, how this meeting went, how we should use it going forward.
Daphne: I’d love to hear about structural organization within the hubs within Occupy.
George: Use the space to talk about how we are organizing the hubs.
Rachel: I felt a lot of confusion about the word breakout, personally what I thought what actually happened was that people got to talk to the people they wanted to talk about,and building expectations about the meeting, especially the open-space model
Shawn: I would like to see this space be a decision making spokes council. [Tess twinkles]
George: I also really enjoy the open space model, it’s an awesome way to develop accountability through our networking – I know a lot of sites are starting to break off, and thats great, but I dont want us to get siloed in our sites, but I don’t want us to disconnect from each other, and how we connect our efforts.
Ronnie: I’d like to know who is coming from what organization.
I think it’s important not to get caught up in either/or decentralization or centralization, the answer is both – What are the benefits of both, and being able to transcend the binary of centralization/decentralization.
So I think that that’s important in framing the conversation we can have.
Freddy: This may be a silly question, but do we have a mission statement?
<NO>
George: Getting that together might be difficult, but if people want to take a crack at that…

Lev: I sent out a draft to a few people, that might exist on the internet somewhere.
I’d like to see this space be a coming together as a central body, but also reflecting the work being done at different sites.
Leslie: And also for us to communicate those things to each other so we learn from each other, and address conflicts that come up, and build trust. If we can work together to build that trust, we can get to a really good place.
Daniele: My favorite part has been reportbacks, because it’s hard to know what’s going on in various places. I actually feel like decision-making is happening in the hubs, and we can decide if we want to have it here or not.I liked this space being a shared space about whats going on within the network
Devin: I thought the facilitation was great, it allowed the group to decide how to use the space.
if that becomes creating mission statements, and using the OWS model of making proposals, and that’s cool it should progress, we can go back to things that have worked in the past, if we think that it works.

Tess: Before when we all introduced ourselves, I said I wasn’t really sure what we are all doing, but i can say that one thing I’ve been doing is trying to establish communications between all of the different places where we’re doing what we’re doing, It’s important to acknowledge that there are ties that bind us, and there are decisions about resources that we should all have access to that we should all be talking about. so that was always my motivation in establishing this space and decision-making doesn’t have to mean on behalf of Occupy Sandy, but it can reflect the people who were here in this room and this day.

Tammy: I want to make sure that there is a network wide space that has a positive vibe. I want a space to have important conversations. What does it mean to relate to govt agencies, what does it mean to have diversity in our network?
IB: I think the meeting should exist as an inward and outwardly facing body that represents Occupy Sandy that’s involved in logistical and process-related decisions for the group.
Freddy: Will we always be able to meet here?
Tess: One thought that has been thrown around that I really like is maybe holding the meetings weekly at different recovery sites, or zones so that we do it one week in the Rockaways, one week in Coney Island, one week in Staten Island.
Daniele: My concern is that people from other places won’t be able to get here.
Sam: Let’s not get into a back and forth. is there someone to make sure that the next meeting time will be communicated and announced. Who’s gonna do it?
Tess: I’ll whip.
Sam: So it seems that conversations about moving this meeting can take place in that space.
Shawn: Short announcement. When I gave the reportback from Red hook. We had a meeting with Fema, an all project meeting, a NYCHA meeting. We had a conversation with FEMA about data sharing, and they actually want to give us more data than they want to take from us. We talked about water and dirt testing. They also agreed to give me a report by the zip code of Red Hook on all of the money FEMA has spent. And I asked if they would do that for everyone in Occupy Sandy, and they said they’d talk about it. Also, there will be important meeting December 28 of a nameless group of grassroots groups who have been doing relief efforts, and they were like, Occupy Sandy should totally take that over! All of the people in different sites should get together and share resources and knowledge. So thats something maybe we should go to.
2017 Beverly Rd in Ditmas Park 10am
Sam: In the spirit of us all coming together from different places, and being a corny facilitator, there was a thing farmers used to do during the united farmworkers strikes, and they would have their meetings in the fields across many different languages and different issues, and even though they didn’t speak the same language, they would do a unity clap, and end with one big clap and say Itsang Batsak, which means “One down, one fall”.
So we did that! Meeting adjourned.

Tagged with →